Sports medicine is a branch of science that is actively developing, providing assistance to coaches and athletes during the training process. The difference is that sports physicians work with the human body, which is physically overloaded by a lot more. As a result, there may be more potential injuries and complications. There are so many examples of medical centers in the USA like ST Croix Falls Medical Center and many others.
What sports medicine studies?
The objectives of sports medicine have not yet been determined. This branch of science is often mixed with physical education. But the load of ordinary people to maintain the body tone in comparison with load of professional athletes is different stuff.
When people are engaged in physical education, the loads are evenly distributed across all muscle groups, classes are dosed, there is no preparation for the competition, there is no responsibility for the result, therefore, there is no psychological stress. Ordinary people do not adhere to a sports regime, do not fully control their diet. In addition – if there is a need for rest – you can afford it at any time.
There is another perception of professional sport. Training is 2 times a day. In total, half a day is devoted to working in the gym: in any weather, in any state, mood. Therefore, in order to maintain such a schedule, control over training, nutrition, and muscle condition is necessary. Prevention of various diseases is necessary, especially during the competition season. Depending on the sport, the load is oriented always on the same group of muscles.
Tasks of sports medicine
Sports medicine and doctors should do:
- assistance to the trainer in the selection of candidates for professional sports;
- driving through the sporting loads of the younger generation for many years;
- determination of the optimal mode of work and rest individually for each athlete;
- recommendations on the type of food at different periods of activity;
- injury prevention due to increased physical loading;
- monitoring the administration of pharmaceuticals;
- development of a set of measures to increase efficiency and improve results;
- proper treatment and rehabilitation after sports injuries;
- hygiene and general disease control;
- sports doping control with ST Croix.
Sports medicine also studies the pathological processes that occur in high-level athletes. As a result of an unprofessional approach on the part of medical personnel, there were many such pathologies in the history of international sports, including spontaneous deaths during training.
Sports medicine doctor duties
In order for a sports medicine doctor to be able to apply all his knowledge, he must have the authority to terminate a person from competitions or training if it may result in injury or disability.
Many professional doctors fought for the implementation of the rules in training and nutrition, as well as for the distribution of loads. Sometimes their offers are ignored. The sports system is more interested in the results than in the health of those who bring these results.
For a full-fledged work, a sports medicine doctor needs to have the following knowledge and experience:
- theories and methods, as well as sports hygiene;
- sports morphology;
- physiology and biochemistry of sports;
- sports rehabilitation;
Remember that rehabilitation after sports injuries has other goals and takes place according to a different methodology than that of ordinary people.